All roads led yesterday to the Yar’Adua Centre in Abuja, the Federal Capital Territory, where The AUTHORITY newspapers hosted their maiden Awards for Excellence and Good Governance.
Indeed, the hall was overflowing with a huge audience made up of the crème de la crème of the society – who witnessed the impressive ceremony hosted by Dr Patrick Ifeanyi Ubah, the Publisher of The AUTHORITY newspapers.
No fewer than 13 eminent Nigerians were honoured in the maiden edition of The AUTHORITY Awards for Excellence and Good Governance. Three corporate organizations also shared in the glory – for rendering excellent services to the nation.
The ceremony was chaired by His Excellency, Dr Chukwuemeka Ezeife, a former Governor of Anambra State, while eminent constitutional lawyer
and rights activist, Chief Mike Ozekhome, delivered the Keynote address.
Topping the bill of award winners was Dr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, former President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, who won The AUTHORITY Icon of Democracy in Africa 2016.
Jonathan was represented by his former Minister of Special Duties, Barrister Tanimu Turaki (SAN), who received the award on his behalf.
The Rivers State Governor, His Excellency (Barr) Nyesom Ezenwo Wike, clinched the laurel of THE AUTHORITY Governor of the Year 2016.
Governor Wike was represented at the ceremony by the Deputy Governor of Rivers State, Her Excellency, Dr Harry Ipalibo Banigo, who received the award on behalf of the People’s Governor.
Enugu State Governor, His Excellency, Hon. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, won the award of The AUTHORITY Outstanding Governor of the Year 2016 in Economic Development & Infrastructure.
Governor Ugwuanyi was represented by Senator Utazi and Barrister Chijioke Edeoga, a commissioner and ranking member of the state’s Executive Council.
The Executive Chairman of CHICASON GROUP, Dr Alexander Chika Okafor, was on hand to collect his award as The AUTHORITY Businessman of the Year 2016.
Mr Tony Ojobo was also on hand to receive his award as The AUTHORITY Outstanding Public Affairs Spokesperson of the Year 2016.
The Chief of Army Staff, Lt-General Yusuf Tukur Buratai, sent a representative who picked up his award as The Outstanding Service Personality of the Year 2016.
The three distinguished members of the National Assembly who won laurels were also present to receive their awards: Senator Dino Melaye (THE AUTHORITY Most Courageous Senator of the Year 2016); Senator Godswill Akpabio (THE AUTHORITY Legislator of the Year 2016) and Mrs Nkeiruka Onyejeocha (THE AUTHORITY Female Representative of the Year 2016).
The Group Managing Director, NNPC, Dr Maikanti Kacalla Baru, was represented by his Executive Director who received his award as THE AUTHORITY Outstanding Public Servant of the Year 2016 on Service Delivery.
Fidelity Bank Plc, SUNTRUST Bank Nigeria Ltd and the African Independent Television (AIT) were the corporate organizations which also won awards.
The Managing Director/Editor-in-Chief of The AUTHORITY Newspapers, Mr. Madu Onuorah, said:
“The AUTHORITY Awards for Excellence & Good Governance reflect a sober effort to recognize and fete merit and excellence in diverse arenas of human endeavour in our country.”
Senator Dino Melaye and Senator Godswill Akpabio spoke on behalf of all the award winners – and they pledged to rededicate themselves to the service of the nation and the people of Nigeria. The award winners also commended The AUTHORITY Newspaper for its resilience and bold reportage and analysis of critical news and unfolding developments in the country.
THE AUTHORITY Awards for Excellence & Good Governance 2016 – Full List:
1. THE AUTHORITY Icon of Democracy in Africa, His Excellency, Dr Goodluck Ebele Jonathan (former President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria).
2. The AUTHORITY Governor of the Year, 2016 – H.E Governor (Barr.) Nyesom Wike (Rivers State)
3. THE AUTHORITY Outstanding Governor 2016 in Economic Development & Infrastructure – H.E Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi (Enugu State)
4. THE AUTHORITY Outstanding Governor of the Year 2016 in Job Creation – H.E Governor Ben Ayade (Cross-River State)
5. THE AUTHORITY Outstanding Governor of the Year 2016 in Education – HE Governor Aminu Tambuwal (Sokoto State)
6. THE AUTHORITY Business Man of the Year 2016 – Chief (Dr) Alexander Chika Okafor, OON.
7. THE AUTHORITY Outstanding Service Personality of the Year 2016 – Lt-General Tukur Yusuf Buratai
8. THE AUTHORITY Legislator of the Year 2016 – Senator Godswill Akpabio
9. THE AUTHORITY Most Courageous Senator of the Year 2016 – Senator Dino Melaye
10. THE AUTHORITY Female Representative of the Year 2016 – Honourable Nkiru Onyejiocha
11. THE AUTHORITY Outstanding Public Servant of the Year 2016 on Service Delivery – Dr Maikanti Kacalla Baru
12. THE AUTHORITY Outstanding Public Affairs Spokesperson of the Year 2016 – Mr. Tony Ojobo
13. THE AUTHORITY Outstanding Artiste of the Year 2016 – PHYNO
14. THE AUTHORITY Bank of the Year 2016 – Fidelity Bank Plc
15. THE AUTHORITY Most Innovative Bank of the Year 2016 – Sun Trust Bank Nig. Ltd.
16. THE AUTHORITY Broadcast Station of the Year 2016 – Africa Independent Television (AIT).
Soource: Authority News